This article provides the project files of the Magnus effect vertical axis wind turbine experimental device, including 3D printed (STL) files, mechanical parts list, circuit diagram, etc. Anyone who is interested in making one can download it and try it out ! The device of this project is shown in the video :
File download link => iCloud
The circuit diagram is as follows：
Notes and instructions for this project：
- Since the 3D printed mask (left side of the diagram above) cannot block infrared rays, it can be painted on the surface.
- The reason for using “DC motor + reducer” is that the cost is low. A set can be purchased online for less than $2 USD.
- The noise mainly comes from the reducer, not the wind turbine, which can be improved by direct drive.
- Please choose a hexagonal shaft for the output shaft of the reducer to match the 3D printed part “Rotor_Foot_Hex”. Otherwise, you must try to avoid slipping.
- The reduction ratio should not be too large, otherwise the wind turbine will not run fast. The deceleration ratio in the video is about 1:20. If you cannot buy such a small reduction ratio, you can increase the gear number on the motor shaft.
- Please choose a motor with a rating of 12 V or above to avoid burning out.
- The rotor (styrofoam) of this project has a diameter of 60 mm and a height of 235 mm.
The value of Magnus effect vertical axis wind turbines
- Can be used as a teaching aid to demonstrate the Magnus effect, making teaching more interesting.
- Can produce large torque and consume only a small amount of electrical energy, mainly relying on wind energy.
- The starting torque is greater than that of traditional drag-type wind turbines such as Savonius.
- It is more energy-saving than using a propeller to produce the same lift. The propeller directly pushes the air and does not use wind energy. The Magnus rotor only rubs against the air (viscous force) when rotating, so the resistance is small and therefore saves energy.
- Can be used to => start (Darrieus) lift type vertical axis wind turbines.
- After improving efficiency, it can also be used for wind power generation or water pumping. Please refer to => ways to improve
- Adopt => newly invented rotor with higher efficiency.
Ref. Magnus effect and VAWTs。